Sunday, September 14, 2008

Our Just Desserts


There are two things that I have learned about the Holland family: One there is always room for dessert, and two they will turn anything into a competition. When faced with the decision to spend our night going to a comedy club, watching the bats on Congress bridge, going to the Drafthouse, or some other touristy thing for Wendy and John's second to last night in Austin, it was decided that we would have a pie making contest.
John called his parents to get Omi's "secret" pecan pie recipe, Wendy and Clay searched the Internet and the many recipe books on our shelves, while I tried to be resourceful and make a pie with ingredients we had on hand. We gave ourselves 30 minutes to come up with a pie and then went grocery shopping. I must admit I thought I would win hands down because I was the only one that had ever made a pie by myself. But the Hollands proved to be quite the competitors.
Each person had a designated cooking spot in the kitchen as to deter sabotage and stealing of ideas. There was a fervor of activity that lead to one almost-disastrous crust, one not-quite-cooked-in-the-middle pie, one is-that-ever-going-to-be-ready pie, and the oops-I-forgot-the-vanilla pie. Thankfully the only causalties were my clean stove and kitchen.

THE COMPETITORS:
Clay: Buttermilk Chocolate Chip
Andrea: Rasberry Peach w/Streusel Topping
Wendy: Key Lime Cheesecake
John: Chocolate Pecan

We needed some neutral judges so we solicited the help of the Harmans. With our pies in tote we arrived at their house ready for them to declare the winner. After some lively discussion, and lots of pie eating, the secret ballots were cast and the results were as follows...

THE CATEGORIES:

Nostalgia Factor: Andrea

Best Overall: Clay's Buttermilk Surprise

Best Aroma: Andrea (Cinnamon and Brown Sugar just smell better)

Aphrodisiac: Clay (it was creamy, gooey, and it felt a little wrong enjoying it so much)

Short Bus Award: Clay (I'm not sure what this really means)

Best Presentation: Wendy

Miss Congeniality: Andrea (friendliest competitor)

Honorable mention goes to John's Chocolate Pecan Pie - it was the first one to go.

































4 comments:

Suzy said...

best night ever! mmmm.

Brenna said...

Next time you need a judge come our way! Yum!!

Karena said...

What do you mean you have nothing to blog about??? Life is always fun with the Hollands, and Sally Sue of course.

Izzy said...

Pie!!!!!!

I am on the hunt for the perfect Chocolate Cream Pie recipe. I think I have it coming a long pretty good! But I need a great crust recipe!

Can you help?